Friday, September 24, 2010

Fascist Chic - a video of interest

Wee! My first post here! :) I want to share a video that I came across a few weeks ago, and in last week's class, when Professor Kalmar was talking about "Fascist Chic" (that he said we'll go into more next week), I was reminded of this video again. So here it is. It's a kind of an example of fascist chic, or of "aestheticizing politics", which Walter Benjamin talks about, as this video's main message is that Republicans are a better choice because Republican women are better looking (which is arguable in itself, considering the video's makers chose the most flattering pictures of Republican women and the most awkward pictures of Democrat women, including at least one doctored/photoshopped picture of Rosie O'Donnell's face imposed on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's body).


Here's the video I'm talking about:

1 comment:

  1. That's very strange, as I am familiar with this unfortunate (and untrue!) stereotype as well. I don't know where it originates from; perhaps because Republicans/Conservatives seem to favour a traditional view of femininity?

    ReplyDelete