Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Unbounded Locality and 'O Noir', the Restaurant

The other day, when we discussed virtuality and unbounded locality, it reminded me of my experience I had at a restaurant called O Noir. This restaurant, (which is located in Toronto) provides a unique, physically unbounded experience for the customer. The setting is pitch black – no lights or digital devices are allowed within the restaurant. The premise for the restaurant is meant to replicate the experience of a blind person. Using self-perception, the customers are forced to use their imagination, sensory, impressions and thoughts to adapt to their loss of sight and conceptualize their sense of space. Upon entering the restaurant and being overwhelmed by compete darkness, an acute feeling of spatial displacement takes over your senses. It's as if there is a sensory vacuum – because of your sudden loss of sight – that takes time to adapt to. Once I settled into my seat, I began to conceptualize what I thought the restaurant looked like, how big it was, and how it was organized. The voices of other customers were heightened as I began to use sound as a guide for perceiving my surroundings. (the restaurant, people, etc)

In the end, it was definitely an experience I will never forget. I recommend this place to those of you who have not been to O Noir!

No comments:

Post a Comment