Thursday, November 18, 2010

Everyone will be famous for 15 seconds


This is a clip from Russia’s got talent. These men definitely have a talent for making me question whether they are exceptional actors or huge idiots. As Bianca mentioned in class, there preliminary auditions for most reality shows which determines who will be allowed to audition in front of a TV audience. Somehow these guys made it through; they are definitely the lowest spectrum on the hierarchy of taste.


I don’t think a person is mentally challenged if they believe what is happening in reality shows is reality. People have varying levels of media literacy. Watching this clip, I couldn’t turn away. I guess it appeals to the viewers feeling of shadenfreude. I admit, the first time seeing this I really did think the arrow went to the guy’s eye and that prevented me from enjoying what must be intended as humour. In response to youtube viewers comments that mirrored my own reaction, one viewer commented, “He is alive_ noobs, be calm :D” Watching it a second time, I can see the cracks in the act, how the camera angle widens making the view squint to see the arrow hit the man’s face. What do you think – is this all an act? Am I a “noob” for believing that I just witnessed a man seriously being hurt on TV? Is this an instance where the fragile masquerade of reality television is broken?

No comments:

Post a Comment