Monday, March 21, 2011

Canadian Identity

I really enjoyed discussing the ideas of Canadian Identity in last week's class. As an avid traveller, I am always asked what things make our country distinctly Canadian. It seems like every country has their own - possibly stereotypical in some cases - food, dance, tradition, sport, etc., that they can associate as a nationalistic trend, but I am always at a loss when I attempt to think of something inherently Canadian.

I also find it interesting to note that I, and several other friends I have travelled with, will always label ourselves as Canadian when we are in another country. However, when I am in Canada, and even travelling to different parts of this country I will always associate myself with my family background of Croatian descent. Does anyone else do this? Why? Perhaps it's relatable to our Canadian ideals of multi-culturalism; perhaps due to the fact that as Canadian we find it hard to relate to a collective identity... Just thought it was an interesting thing to think about.

Anyway, I was re-inspired today to the topic of last week's (perhaps it was now a few weeks ago...) class when I saw this Canadian Tire advertisement on the TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH5cEddvZKk

I've never really considered Canadian Tire to be a truly Canadian thing... There aren't any products there that you couldn't find at a Costco, or Walmart, or maybe even a Tescos but the commercial still brands the store as a basis of "Canadianness." Just an interesting thing to watch and think about !!!

-Jasmina

No comments:

Post a Comment