Saturday, March 12, 2011

How to be polite, Eh?

Many people believe that each country has their own "personality'; whether it's the French who are snobby and smelly, or the Americans who are arrogant and stupid. Lucky enough for us Canadians, the majority of the world views us as friendly, polite, and kind. If we travel somewhere, we are most likely going to receive warm and welcoming smiles.

I recently traveled to London, and definitely experienced this kindness as soon as people heard my accent and I told them I was Canadian. For example, I went to this small pub the first night I was there and as soon as I ordered my first drink, people within earshot all turned around to see who this strange accent belonged to. For the rest of the evening, many of the locals came up to talk to me, ask me about Canada, and buy me a beer (needless to say I didn't pay for another drink that night!).

I found some websites that outline: Etiquette, Canadian Style and Top Perks of Being a Canadian Traveller which outline the best things about being a Canuck. I've included some of the best (and some others which I've found elsewhere) below:

  1. With their natural tendency to be polite, Canadians readily use the words “please” and “thank you.” Canadians are warm and helpful, so don’t hesitate to ask for directions or help as they are always ready to provide assistance.
  2. Boasting and ostentation can put off even the most tactful Canadian, as they tend to be more reserved than their American neighbors.
  3. Bilingual Benefits: A great number of Canadians speak both French and English and thus, feel quite at home in French speaking countries.
  4. If you bump into someone on the sidewalk, a simple apology is the way to go.
  5. Because of the varying weather conditions in Canada, Canadians are able to handle extreme weather, from cold snowy weather to hot tropical weather
  6. We know good beer. Canada measures the per cent alcohol by volume, not by weight, so when we get to the US or Europe, we can sample all their fine brews without ending up on the floor.

    and my favoUrite
  7. Distances don't faze us. Barcelona-Belgrade? Who cares that that's halfway across Europe. It's no further than Vancouver-Saskatoon in kilometres.

No comments:

Post a Comment