Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wandering Around the Global Village

McLuhan and his global village—holy cow. I have just come home from watching “The Social Network” and boy oh boy, am I feeling inspired or WHAT?!


Right now a live cam of a birds-eye-view Times Square is playing in the background while this blog entry is being written. I can hear the white noise of Times Square in a distant wish-wash and I am just soaking in the phenomenon of today’s (altogether now) “GLOBAL VILLAGE!”



I thought originally, the moment I stepped into my front porch and gazed into the sky, that I would write some sci-fi thoughts and ideas for stories into my notebook. But then I immediately remembered this blog and that I must post to it. I thought, wow, this would be a far more productive idea. And so that is what I’m about to do.


I am going to apply my somewhat alien, far-fetched thoughts to how I feel about this very real, social network we are living. I came to earthcam.com after coming home from watching The Social Network, by looking for (out of my own curiosity) the top 100 websites existing currently. I briskly scrolled through the list and clicked Earth Cam which was described as, “Live online cameras are all over the world in fascinating and often unlikely places. Look through many windows on the world LIVE at Earthcam.com!”

It’s something beyond words that I am trying to describe here, but I am completely flabbergasted when I sit down and have a good think about it. We are connected in an amazing way. In this age we are enabled to see each other’s common friends, what we’re listening to, watching, interested in, and we can even take a quick gander at Times Square in New York City live, if we so please. I’m so excited to further discuss “The Social Network” movie, because the creation of Facebook has lead us to understanding social behaviour in a visible, documented way…


On that note, I’ll probably go write down some sci-fi thoughts now and do some creative writing…Hmmm… maybe clones of Facebook users attacking Facebook friends-in-common Facebook users? That’s too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment