Monday, April 4, 2011

Alright, I'm Addicted

Hi. My name is Bianca and I am addicted to the internet.

It's totally weird that the internet is a 'space' of its own. We can go places, visit people, contact friends, ask questions, create and recreate, learn, and fry our brains all in...or on...this peculiar thing that when I think about it, I know very little about exactly what it is...

The internet! *Sweet angelic voices sing 'ahhhhh!'*

How does it work, why is it here. Why the heck am I determined to open several tabs at once on the top of my Firefox while I'm trying to get stuff done?! Gmail, Youtube, Google, FACEBOOK. Geez, don't even get me started on Facebook. It's like if I'm not connected, I feel disconnected from reality. But then, none of us really know reality for what it really is. But for some reason, the internet has become a necessity for so many like myself to feel like they are in the loop.

I almost find myself blurring the lines between cyberspace and real life sometimes. Today I was speaking with a friend who I had a conversation with a few nights ago. I told him that I agree with what it was we had been discussing at his house. To my surprise, he explained to me that it was on Facebook chat we were discussing this, and it was not at all at his house where we were having a conversation. In fact, I hadn't seen him in over a week. He proceeded tell me that I have an addiction. And I am addicted to being online.

Though it helps us in so many ways, the internet serves as a massive procrastinating machine, especially during times like this: exam period, things are due, and work schedules seem to be quite busy. It's just that time of year, yet I still manage to hop onto facebook and check out how busy everyone else is at the same time. And I laugh to myself as I read how many people's facebook statuses are "Can't focus!", "Exam time" , or, "God I need to delete my facebook! DON'T MSG ME!", and I proceed to click "Like". And here I am, at the same time, blogging away, with several tabs open, and my "Top 10 Conspiracies" youtube video waiting for me on the far right tab. I just can't get enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment