Monday, April 4, 2011

Domestic Terrorism

I was part of the cultural exploration team for the last topic of terrorism and while the idea we chose din't get any airtime in class, I thought I would share something else I came across while researching for it. I know the context talked about in class was with regards to Muslim terrorists, given their prevalence in the current world. But the abundance of images of Muslims terrorists also desensitizes us to the term "terrorist" itself and we cease to think of it in terms of any other demographic. While discussing the project with a friend from a different class, she pshaw-ed me and said Muslim terrorists were so typical, I should pick someone else, like maybe Christians (she herself is Catholic).I was taken aback because I hadn't really heard of Christian terrorist in the present day and asked her to elaborate. Apparently there's a whole category of terrorist attacks from anti-abortion lobbyists, especially in the US. I did a quick google search and found this:



You don't have to watch the whole thing, just skip to the part between 0:43 to 1:17. It raises some deep questions about who is and isn't regarded as a terrorist. Regardless of the numerous inane things that Sarah Palin believes and says, I would say that the sentiment shown here would actually be felt by many others as well who probably don't even know it themselves just because they've never thought about it and the media never uses the word "terrorist" for such attackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment