Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Being Canadian

I think it is interesting when people automatically associate being Canadian with hockey. Being as multicultural as it is now, I don't know if there are even half of the population that plays and watches hockey. By this, I also mean that they watch, even when no one else is watching. For instance, I know many people who watch hockey, but only when everyone else is. To me, this isn't a real association between hockey and Canadianness.

It irks me because of the wide assumption that (in my personal experience) Canadians watch and play hockey all the time. It may just be because I see myself as truly a fan, as I watch and play hockey all the time, whereas people who occasionally dabble in it are essentially the same amount of "Canadian" as I am. Nonetheless, I'm proud to be a beer-drinking, hockey-loving Canadian, and to all those who feel the same, make sure you do it because you love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment