Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I have spent the last few days trying to find a commercial on YouTube that I had seen a few times in the last couple of weeks. In my last effort, I sat at my laptop tonight searching when it came on the TV!...twice! Unfortunately, I still can't find it on the internet anywhere. Either way, the commercial interested me because the majority of the commercial is spent discussing how Canadians have no problem being in cold weather (showing people strutting down the street barely bundled up), and therefore, why shouldn't they wash their clothes in cold water with Tide! Don't ask me how this is related to being Canadian... I just thought it was interesting to see how a brand like Tide uses Canadian stereotypes to somehow promote the sales of their product. It was interesting to see how they used these "shared hardships" in order to create a kind of imagined community, connecting Canadians in this way and promoting their product.

No comments:

Post a Comment