Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Zombieland!

The other day, while procrastinating as usual, I flipped the channel to the movie "Zombieland". Under any other circumstance I probably wouldn't have watched it, but I thought this, or paper. Somehow Mark Zuckerberg's (I mean... Jessie Eisenberg)'s monotone won me over. We discussed Zombies at some point in class so I feel this could subject matter could be potentially justified.

Now, what is it about zombies that we just love so much? There have been countless zombie movies made over the years.. and in keeping with my theme of general procrastination, I even went to see the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers over at Bloor Cinema last week. It is pretty much a zombie movie (sans gore). But, really, I just want to put that question out there... what it is that we love so much about this movie formula? It's always the same situation, a group of people running a way from these mindless cannibals. There's always some love element, there's always a parental/older sibling element and there's always the rumor that there's some place where the mysterious disease hasn't taken over. So if I can summarize the film in less than 100 words, why keep making it? We all know what's going to happen... is it for the pure love of gore and action? I'm just wondering.

Maybe we just like to imagine ourselves as the protagonist.. I mean who wouldn't want to look like Will Smith in "I am Legend"? Just admit it, you and your roommates have a zombie apocalypse emergency plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment